Thursday, March 8, 2007

Five Score and Seven Years Ago


Ok... I admit that I wasn't able to buy Relient K's new cd on opening day... some things came up, but I did buy it the day after. I must say, it was a very good use of $14.97. Overall I get the feeling that this cd is of a lighter mood than MMHMM. (Screamo is non-existent in this record) This however was a good thing for them to do. The songs on this cd are of a much happier note than MMHMM. The love songs are sun shiney and happy. I like it. From beach boysish "Plead the Fifth" to the country sounding "Faking My Own Suicide" you'll love this cd all the way through.


The highlight however, is the last song. The song is entitled Deathbed. The song is written from the perspective of someone dying from lung cancer in his deathbed (How appropriate). He tells the tragic and depressing story of his life. When he was young, his father left the family. He got addicted to smoking and drank. He was involved before marrage with a woman who ends up divorcing him and taking the kids. Not quite sun shiney happy eh?

But THEN! HARK! Eventually he tells of how one day, he accepted Jesus as his Savior. He asked Jesus to forgive all of his sins. This is followed by a long instrumental solo. With less than 2 minutes to go, Jon Foreman (Switchfoot) sings Jesus voice saying, "I am the Way. Follow Me and take My hand. And I am the Truth. Embrace Me and you'll understand. I am the life. Through Me you'll live again. (Thiessen takes over again) For I am Love. I am Love. I am Love.


This song is so amazing. You can't understand how good it is until you hear it for yourself. GO OUT AND BUY THE CD!!! For those people who said that Relient K was going away from God by not actually saying Jesus in their songs, THEY'RE BACK AGAIN!!!

No comments: