Thursday, November 1, 2007

Much Has Happened... (And a cd review)

Wow... since I've written my last post quite a bit has happened... I have been admitted and released from the hospital because of salmonella, my bestest friend in the whole world has come and gone, my brother has had his birthday... How do I start?

A couple weeks ago I felt really horrible and went to bed... I also couldn't keep any solids or liquids in me... I was admitted to the hospital a couple days later and eventually they found out that it was salmonella... I'm still not quite sure what I got it from, but I really don't want to have it again... The hospital staff were nice and I had a lot to do there, but there's nothing like being at home (and being able to eat and drink a normal diet). Thank you to all the people who did any or all of the following : Prayed for me, wrote me a card, gave me a balloon, sat and talked to me, came in while I was tired and didn't get to talk to me. I appriciate it a LOT. While in the hospital, the Wilson family got in from California. It stunk that I was sick for a large portion of their trip, but Amanda did come up the day after they got here and stayed at the hospital with me for most of the day (Thank you... Even if we didn't really get to talk). I got to hang out with Amanda for the remainder of the trip mostly by watching tv, driving and running errands, she came to Metro with me one day, and we sat out on the swing almost every night in the freezing cold... Amanda, I had a great time with you while you were here and I miss you so much now that you're gone...
Friday night the Moore's (and Josh Beasley) came over and we had a Mafia party... Oddly enough, I was never killed by the mafia... It's the first time I've played so many games and not been killed by the mafia... One of the games we played with a slight variation where there was one person who couldn't be killed by the mafia. I was that person and I found out Jacob was the doctor and we ended up winning by default when it came down to three people... lol...
Saturday was Marcus' birthday party. Blake and John Wilson as well as Jimmy T came. Amanda came with me and we took the boys up to the indoor playplace at Mohoney park. I played in the park for a little, but I am getting old and being weak from being in the hospital, being sick, and losing 12 lbs (I'm never going to be able to gain that back... sigh... if I wasn't skinny before...). The rest of the time I got to sit and talk to Amanda and laugh at the boys (We could watch from the balcony). It was really fun! That night Mr. Wilson said that Amanda and I could go to Applebees. It was great. It was the first time I'd had really really good food since I'd been sick. Amanda and I just talked, mostly about all the cool/weird/random stuff on the walls there. I think it was one of my favorite nights. After Applebees we went and got my brother's B-day present (Star Wars Legos II or whatever it's called).
Sunday was my brother's b-day and he got a soccer ball from the Wilson's (Soccer ROCKS!), the game from me and Maddie, and a remote control helicopter from my mom and dad. He really loved all of his presents! That night was pretty sad because we knew the Wilson's were leaving the next day.
Monday morning I had my dad wake me up at 5:30 so I could try and talk to Amanda some before they had to leave. Everyone was very out of it and very sad. We gave our goodbye hugs and the Wilson's drove away... As soon as they were out of sight I put my head on my mom's shoulder and pretty much lost it. I then had to go inside and take a shower and immediately head off to Metro for class... I have been very sad ever since...

Now for the cd review:
While Amanda was here, after I got my hair cut (Which I did eventually dye again, much to pretty much EVERYONE'S dissapointment, yes, a lot of people did tell me), we went to the BX where I bought Relient K's mostly not new Christmas cd "Let it Snow. Let it Reindeer." It's pretty much just a re-release of their old Christmas cd "Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hands" that came with Two Lefts Don't Make a Right, but Three Do. However, since many people haven't heard of that cd, much less don't have it, I think that it was smart for them to rerelease it again. Along with the original songs from Deck the Halls, there were also some new ones as well as the song, "In Like A Lion" Which came out on their cd Apathetic EP. I really like this cd a lot (Even though I'd heard most of the songs before, though I don't own Deck the Halls, I have listened to it a lot). I definately advise everyone who likes Relient K's music to get it. I'm trying to think of my favorite songs ... Instead, I'll just write all of them with a little review on each:

1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - I really like this song anyway, but I definately like the way Relient K made it their own... They have the perfect sound for doing Christmas music. This was one of the new ones added to the old Christmas cd... Definately a good track.

2. Sleigh Ride - Let me see. I do like this track, but I must say that I have heard other versions of this song that I like better. One of the big downers in Relient K's version is that they leave out a whole part of the original song... This is also one of the newer ones. Good track, but I wish it was better.

3. Merry Christmas, Here's to Many More - This song it a little sad, but also really good. I love it a lot now as it has one of my new favorite quotes, "Jesus Christ has blessed my life just to know who you are." Definately a good song. (Also A new one for this cd.)

4. Angels We Have Heard on High - This is one of their older ones that they put on this record. I like it a lot (I even was able to sing their version in a church service in Ohio and my cousin played the electric guitar.) Definately a good track. I like the syncopation of the guitar in the second chorous (I think).

5. Deck the Halls - Also one of the older ones. I this this one is ok. I really do like the harmony both in the melody and the guitars.

6. 12 Days of Christmas - This song is one of their old ones, but it was a very smart move on their part to re-release it... This one is AMAZING! Normally when you think of this song you think of it getting pretty old... Relient K does a great job of changing up each verse and even adding their own lyrics "What's a partridge and what's a pair tree? Well I don't know so please don't as me, but I can bet those are terrible gifts to get." This one is worth listening to by everyone!

7. Silent Night/Away in a Manger - Older track. Um... I like these okay, but I will admit I've liked other versions of these songs better... I can't really explain it though...

8. I Celebrate the Day - Also an old one, and original. I love this one a lot. I can listen to it all the time. I would like to learn how to play it on the piano (Or have someone else do it and have me record the vocals... lol) Great song. My favorite lyrics are at the end that say "I celebrate the day that You were born to die so that I could one day pray for You to save my life."

9. In Like a Lion - This song was inspired by The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe from the Chronicles of Narnia... Everyone who reads my blog should know that I'm a crazy insane fan of those books... I also really like this song and it was my favorite when it first came out with Apathetic EP.

10. I'm Gettin' Nuttin for Christmas - Definately a great track... One of my new favorites... I love the way that at the end they do the whole mob/punk think... You'll know what I mean when you hear it.

11. We Wish You a Merry Christmas - This is most assuredly my favorite version of this song I've ever heard. I love the sound, added lyrics, and sweet guitar part at the end. 'Nuf said.

12. Santa Claus is Thumbing to Town - An original song that was on their old Christmas album. Talks about how Santa's sleigh broke and the North Pole was in chaos ("I warned you never to trust those eleves."). Very funny, I also like how they use the melody from Jingle Bells in the guitar part before the verses.

13. Handel's Messiah - A very different version of Handel's Messiah. (The Hallelujah Chorous part). I like it a lot, but some people who like the original may not because it is so different... and it has electric guitar... lol

14. I Hate Christmas Parties - A very sad song. I like this one a lot. I'd heard parts of it when they had originally released it before, but until I bought this cd I'd never heard the whole thing. Definately a great track. I like the piano and the minor chords... Great song... Great song...

15. Boxing Day - Also a sad song about after Christmas. It's pretty cool. I like the way the guitars sound... It reminds me of the switchfoot song Daisy. (Which I love a lot)

16. Auld Lang Syne - I love this song a lot, but I especially like the barber shop feel of this four part harmony version. They had a version of this on their old Christmas cd, but they had to rerecord this one because they talk during it and wish everyone a merry Christmas. However, on the old version the member of the band that talked has since left the band. Matt T. and Matt Hoopes did the audio on this version. Great track.

17. The untitled bonus track - Um... I don't really care for this song (Good King Wincelas... Spelling?), but it's kinda funny... The person singing the low part can't hit this low note at the end of the song and his voice goes out... The next line he starts laughing... Kinda funny...

Overall this album is a great cd and all people who are fans of Christmas music and Relient K (Or even the pop-punk style) should definately buy it. (Or at least download select songs).

Now for clarification, I don't want the album review to take away from the fact that I am very sad and missing my friends the Wilsons... I miss them very much and my heart is very heavy, but I thought that you guys might rather have an album review to read then a depressing overview of my life right now... But I can't end this post without saying:
I miss you soooooo much Amanda!

4 comments:

Janie said...

Monday was the hardest goodbye only second to our visit in Aug. and Sep. I know what you mean by them having a good Christmas sound, they sure do. I haven't heard (listened to, I heard lots of them) all of the songs that are on the new cd(we have the old one), and when I did hear them I was talking to people on our way to Goodwill. I realy like In Like A Lion, I Celebrate The Day, Handel's Messiah, and I Hate Christmas Parties they are good songs. Thanks Michael, now I'll be at youth group singing christmas songs, scaring everyone. No one sings here, its sad. don't you just love Christmas music, carols are the best, well, along with all the other really great songs. I want to go caroling, I haven't been since we lived back there. I miss NE.

Randomanda said...

Monday was much harder than the last two goodbyes....I'm not sure when we can see each other again. I had a great time hanging out with you too.

I really like that Relient K CD...I think I'm going to buy it whenever I can get someone to take me to the store....I really need to get my drivers license...

I miss you too!!!

Daddy's lil girl said...

Morgan has the Christmas cd. She just got it and she says I HAVE to listen to it.
Don't worry, we're all prepared to hear your depressing life.lol I'm glad the Wilsons got to come and that you got to have a great time with Amanda.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.