Friday, August 17, 2007

The Chronicles of Narnia

Here's the thing. Anyone who knows me probably knows that I love the Chronicles of Narnia. However, most people do not know how much I love that series! I have completely read through the series 7 times (Though I have read some of the books many more times than that), and I frequently listen to the Focus on the Family Audio Dramas of them. I'm on the brink of obsession. Though they were written to kids, they have stories deep enough for even the most advanced reader and they have spiritual truths conveyed in them so deep that it would take a man such as C.S. Lewis to write them. Every time I hear/read them I notice a new truth or a new part of the story that shows how amazingly they were written. Every person on the planet needs to read these books! (I have them if you need to borrow them). My personal favorite is "The Silver Chair" (Which I just finshed the audio drama for two days ago), however yesterday I decided to re-read The Last Battle. I finshed it this morning. (Another plus for the non-readers is that all of the Narnia books are very small comparitively... though quantity of pages is made up for with quality). It brings the whole series together at the end in such an amazing way! I nearly cried (And I have heard/read this story many many times), but it is so good and it so well portrays Jesus, God, the world, and heaven that it is a magnificent peice of literature. Once again I say, EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THESE BOOKS (Note: The movie doesn't even begin to cut it).
Though they were written out of order (Chronologically) I personally believe this is the order they should be read in. The Chronilogical order of the books is:
The Magician's Nephew (One of the best, used to be my favorite)
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy (I used to hate this one, but actually it is quite good. I noticed this when I found another spiritual truth portrayed)
Prince Caspian (As much as I like Caspian the character, this is my least favorite book)
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Many people's favorite, this one is stinking amazing! Just like them all!)
The Silver Chair (My personal favorite... hard to explain why... why don't you read them all for yourself?)
The Last Battle (Amazingly wraps them all up... sniff... I'm going to cry again)

Check them out!

4 comments:

Janie said...

I heard that they are doing all of the books into movie picking up with Prince Caspian in '08 and going on from there, one a year through the rest of them in the order that they were published. Though, as you said, the movies can never do justice, they may get people reading the books(at least if I see a movie that is a book then I want to read the book, I don't know about everyone other than me). But even if they don't read the books the movies have lots of truth in them, and God can work through a movie just as well as He can through a book, though you should still read them.

Daddy's lil girl said...

I do need to read those books. I was looking on my bed stand last night and the Last Battle caught my eye. I've never read any of them, but I was like... hey! I recognize that!lol I think we have them, but I'm not completely sure, so I may have to borrow them from you...lol well except the Last Battle. And I have to say, while I was reading this, it sounded soooo much like Josh.

Mark C said...

its ok bro, noneed to cry, you can read them forever!

Mark C said...

its ok bro, noneed to cry, you can read them forever!