Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Sample of My Amazingly Exciting Life

I walk into room 326 of the South Omaha Campus of the Metropolitan Community College and walk to my normal front row seat dubbed "Position 1". How original. I put my backpack under the desk, take out my computer and set it up. Next I take my homework and turn it into the same folder I do every week. I turn my computer on and sit back down. Thinking ahead, I also turn on the other machine (A nice Dell hooked up to a high speed internet connection) next to my computer on and let it start itself up to be used later.

The other two students of the class come in a few minutes after I arrive and set themselves up in their positions. The teacher walks to the front of the class and begins to explain today. He's gotta be late 60's. I'm saying in my head. He starts talking and it's evident in his voice which sounds even lower and more grovelly than usual that he must have a cold. The teacher reads the answers to the practice test that was assigned as homework and I copy down the answers on my paper so as to be able to study them for the final next week. The teacher announces that today we will just be practicing for the midterm. He explains that we will be required to install Windows XP, the correct drivers for the machine we are using and hook it up to the local network in the room. Happily I soak this information in. Windows XP is the easiest of all of the choices the intructor could have chosen. While it takes longer for the setup of XP, nearly all of the work is done by the computer itself whilst I just sit by and watch the computer load.

We are then told we can start working. I put the Windows XP cd in the drive and the computer starts up the setup process. I give it a few commands and then it starts off with its little process. Now comes the waiting time. Glad that I had planned ahead earlier, I direct my attention to the nice Dell and log myself in. I surf myself to Facebook and begin doing my usual buisness. First noticing that it is somebody's birthday, so first I greet her a "Happy Birthday". Then I noticed I had 4 or 5 messages to reply to from various friends and then a couple wall posts to reply to. Most of the messages all end up saying the same thing with only a couple differences, the biggest one being how I sign the various messages at the end. Each person I communicate with online has a different protocol with how I message back and forth with them. Some messages end with a nickname, some end with a quote, others with Peace... etc...

While doing my Facebook buisness, I suddenly hear music coming from the computer my instructor happens to be operating at the time. I smile. Nice beat. I expect it to just have been a sound sample from the program he was operating, but then I hear vocals begin. I look confused at my teacher assuming it was a mistake on his part. He looks back and asks, "Is the music okay?" I smile back and eagerly answer "Yes!" He had no idea how much I enjoy music. The music playing, it was so feel-good-ish! I ask "Who is this". Both he and and older classmate state at the same time "Neil Dimond!" and give me weird looks as to say "What is wrong with you?". How was I supposed to know what Neil Dimond sounds like anyway? The only time I ever hear about him is when Kersey (The oldies master of my age) talks about how amazing he is. Slightly embarrassed and feeling a little stupid I just continue back to my work and listen to the great tunes, which continued to play through the rest of class. Good old oldies. Feel good music. It took the greatest of my skill to refrain from jumping up during some of the songs and singing along, air-guitaring, and/or dancing. I did allow myself a little head bop action as well as some occasional tapping to the beat with my feet or hands.

I finished my Facebook duties and sat there wondering what to do next. I looked at my work computer. By now it was nearly done loading the operating system. I waited on it to finish and then completed the setup of the computer. I had finished setting up the computer to do a triple boot with Windows 98/2000/XP... Something I didn't even know was possible (Who the heck would use a triple boot system?) Nevertheless it was possible. I asked my instructor what to do next, and he informed to just blow the hard drive and start the process of installing Windows Xp and setting it up again. I did as I was instructed and sat back down to check my Facebook to see if I had aquired any replies yet. Nothing. My stomach grumbled and I realized I was starving. I would soon waste away to nothing if I couldn't get some sustinance soon, so I decided it was time for lunch.

Living in a family where everybody seems to run on the late side of things and having a class from 12-4 were not good things for a growing boy who desperately needs his lunch. Thankfully I had packed the leftovers of a Wal-Mart deli sandwich in my backpack. I looked at my computer and it had almost 50 minutes more time to load before I would have to interact with it. I picked up my backpack and walked out of the classroom. You see, in this class, it was just a move-at-your-own-pace-lab-deal where you were allowed to take breaks whenever you jolly well pleased as long as you got your work done, so I jolly well took mine.

I walked down the long hallway to what used to be the commons, but since had become just a big weird space since the new building had been added on. The room was full of vending machines, tables and chairs, and couches gathered around a nice flat panel LCD tv. I went and chose a table segragated from a majority of the other students gathered there, and checked my pockets for money. I had brought food, but no drink. I pull the four quarters and the dollar bill out of my pocket that I had specifically brought for the purpose of buying myself a drink and got myself a 16oz. can of Sobe No Fear. Ahh. I then sat down at the table and began to eat my lunch.

Odd what an unattractive nerdy 17 year old will notice when he is eating lunch in the old commons of a community college. First, that since I'm the beforementioned, no one will even attempt a convorsation with me unless some weird circumstance happens, I know them outside of Metro, or they have been in a class with me. So I sit alone at the table eating and drinking my time away. I begin to take in my surroundings. What a weird place. Dimly lit and slightly depressing I scan the room for anything interesting. I see a single glove laying on an abandoned table, somebody must be missing that. At another table a woman is sitting with homeworked stacked up two inches high trying to study or whatnot. Various other people are studying together at other tables. The old custodian talks to various people walking around with a voice so loud he must be deaf. Around the tv are a bunch of random type peoples watching CNN. Who the heck would watch CNN willingly? I mean, anyone could go change the channel to anything they want, but they chose to watch CNN?

Behind me I hear two people trying to have a convorsation. One, who will be referred to as Male A was english and seemed to be trying to have a friendly convorsation with Female A. Friendly convorsation my posterior end. By the look on his face you could tell he didn't care what she was saying, but he just smiled and nodded. Yep, he thought she was hot. I sighed out loud. What a loser. They walked over to the vending machine. She was still trying to talk to him with very broken english and tried to purchase something.

Meanwhile I hear something. It sounds like electronic R&B. Weird. I look around until I find the culprit. I see a girl in a wheelchair sitting behind a little wall with her laptop computer bopping her head and singing to whatever her extremely loud Ipod was playing. I later noticed that she was hitting up her friends on MySpace.

Then I hear Female A again, saying that the machine won't take her dollar. Male A takes his opportunity and says he'll pay for her with his change. She smiles. Instant brownie points. I turn away disgusted at his quick thinking and amazing opportunity. By this time I had finished my sandwich and so I downed the rest of my No Fear, picked up my bag, and went back to class.

Feeling good from that 16oz. of caffine packed goodness I check my computer and I realize my timing couldn't have been better. As I walk up to the computer the loading finished. I then entered the nessary information, and it went on doing its thing. Sigh. More down time.

I wait on my computer and talk to my instructor. He tells me that today I should just kinda run through the process two times so I am ready for the final next week. That sure helps. My mom had told me beforehand that she would be late picking me up today for various reasons. If I was only supposed to do the process twice, then I should be done way before 4. That's why I enjoy driving myself, but life isn't always as nice as I wish it to be. So where am I now you may be wondering? I'm sitting in Position 1 running through the process for the fourth time today and expecting to finish it at least 1 or 2 more times before class ends and then probably waiting on my mom for a little while. Ain't my life so great!

6 comments:

Daddy's lil girl said...

rofl! That was a pretty interesting post. I'm sorry your college life is so boring. But hey look on the bright side, you can take your breaks any time you want!
That was pretty funny with male and female A. Lol... you certainly do have a way of telling stories.

marnmic said...

I posted this on the wrong blog...this is the one I wanted to post this on...sorry!
First of all, as your other teacher I feel I must make some corrections. You were studying for your finals, not mid-terms. Secondly, Daddy said not to say "heck" anymore. So, if I can't say it, you can't either.
Third, I wasn't that late. Marc was in woodworking class though, so I had to wait until he was done. I love you, Sugie bear!

Janie said...

Well, that is quite a class. btw you sound like such a writter, I mean "whenever you jolly well pleased as long as you got your work done, so I jolly well took mine." -I think I just read something like that in a Dikens a few days ago, really. Also the way you talk about the glove on the table, and the two a's it's like in National Treasure, people don't talk like that, but they sure do think like that (at least I do).

Colin said...

Hehe...sounds fun. :-)

Girls and Boys A of all sorts are a constant source of amusement to me...one of the PHC guys auctioned himself off to go to the Valentine's day dance this week. :-P

Well, have fun uploading and downloading and doing whatever else it is that computer geeks do. :-D

Talk to you later, man!
Colin

Maddie Monk said...

Wow! That is the longest blog post I have ever seen. It is like a miniture book. Anyways, I hope next time you go to class I hope you have a little bit more of an interesting time. Lol!

Anonymous said...

wow...that was and insanely long post...boredom does weird things to people